About Lake Hills

image-Dam

The Lake Hills Association, Inc. was formed in 1952 when a local developer purchased Samp Mortar Lake, Dam and associated watershed area from the Bridgeport Hydraulic Company.

The reservoir had been created in 1902 upon construction of the Samp Mortar Dam with the objective of providing a permanent water source for the surrounding community.

Population growth and community expansion led the hydraulic company to develop other, larger reservoirs upstream and to sell the Samp Mortar Lake.

The land surrounding the lake had been homes to generations of Native Americans including the Sasqua, Pequonnock and Mohican tribes.

The lake itself is named after the “Samp Mortar” – a “mortar” (or bowl) in which the Indians mashed their “Samp”, a kind of corn mash. The actual “Samp Mortar” is located at the top of a cliff in the Samp Mortar Rock Park on Springer Road.

The properties of the Lake Hills Association and its members cover approximately 480 acres in the Town of Fairfield, Connecticut. The area includes almost 525 private homes and approximately 80 acres of common property. Samp Mortar Lake itself has a surface area of fifty-two acres and four miles of shoreline. Approximately half of the shoreline is the common property of the Association.

Recreation facilities include 5 sandy beaches, lap swim lanes, baseball field, playground, tennis court, basketball court, nature preserve and 5 docks.

Management and maintenance of our over five hundred member association is entirely through the voluntary contribution of time and talents of the members.

Annual activities include children and adult swim lessons, canoe races, summer picnics, visits by Santa and the very popular Easter Hat Contest and Candy Hunt. The general meeting of the membership is held in January each year. Members are invited to the monthly board meetings, held usually on the third Thursdays of the month at 7:30pm.